Thursday, November 6, 2008

Grant Park photos....

Election night was interesting here in Chicago. We live about a mile from Grant Park, where the Obama party was, so I walked up there with Mike's dad and snapped a few pictures just to be there for the historic event. We couldn't even get close to the stage area and couldn't even see the crowds of people that were on TV (only the lines of people waiting to get in there), but were around when the electoral count went over the 270 mark (much honking, shouting, cheering, etc.)

It has been interesting to see people's reactions to the results. For some people it is the best thing in the world, for others, it is the worst. And these are all Christian folk. Interesting. In a way it's kind of like denominations, eh? We have to choose sides and we all like to think that we're right (or at least more right than the other person), but if we are right then who is wrong? The other people? Nope, just all of us:) Who are we to think that we know what is right....that is something only God can know (although I know that I like to think that I am right, too:).

I will have to admit that I did not vote in the election, but I think that I am glad that Obama won. For most of my growing up years, in my circles it was just a given that if you were a Christian, you voted republican because of the abortion issue. Growing up like that makes it feel weird to cross the party lines, but I agree with Obama about more things than I agree with McCain. Not that it matters now, but it will be an interesting four years -- I hope one that addresses the host of environmental issues that exist. Time will tell, but I'm sure that the world isn't going to come to an end just because Obama is in office:) me in Grant Park...I was sleepy!

Lines of people with tickets in Grant Park....I think that I even saw a Calvin alum in line!
Lights from the stage -- I couldn't get very close :( because I had no ticket....


No comments: