Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Can you tell we aren't from the city??

Today when Allison and Rachel and I walked to school we saw an interesting site. I wrote before that Allison loves to watch the cement trucks and the tower crane work on the 12 story building being built (www.1555wabash.com), and today was no exception. Well, today an even bigger crane was onsite -- a mobile, hydraulic one. On the way to school we saw it put 50 tons of weights on the back of itself and I had absolutely no idea what they were doing. But on the way back from school, two hours later, we found out why. They used the mobile crane to dismantle the big yellow tower crane that had been permanentally onsite for the last few months. She thought it was pretty neat to see it come apart and to see the guys climbing, 12 stories up, on the part that swings around (the jib or working arm -- I had to look it up:) and see parts of it be lowered to the ground. We actually sat down for 5 minutes to stare because it took a while to hook up a piece and lower it down. We are dorks, yes, and it is probably glaringly obvious that we are not from the city, but so it goes. She likes to watch them and I think it is kind of cool myself. I'd take pictures to post here for you, but that might be a little much:)

Well, apparently the sickness that I had a few weeks ago was contagious -- Mike and Mariah both got it (Allison and Rachel were spared, thankfully), but then it got passed to some kids at school, both of Mike's parents and at least one parent and another staff member. We are better from that now, but I got a cold yesterday and feel rather droopy today.

No comments: